Alphagamer is back!

Originally published at: Alphagamer is back! – Alphagamer

Hi all,

Alpha here, it has been a very long time since I used that name!

Alphagamer.net is back! For those being new here, Alphagamer.net was a gaming community that was started in 2004 by gamers for gamers to create a non toxic community. It featured games and large supporting communities for Diablo 2, Warcraft, Counterstrike and more. It also organized international LAN parties sizing up to 60 participants coming from the UK, the Netherlands, Belgium and France.

So what happened to Alphagamer?

I think, as for many of us, life happened… a lot of change. The last 10 years in a short summary: I got married, did 2 international relocations (from Amsterdam, NL to London, UK to New York City, US), switched jobs 3 times and completed a Master program at a university in the US. So a lot has happened.

Even though I didn’t keep the community online, my passion for gaming has never changed. It actually only expanded. I currently play on PC, Sony Playstation 5 and Nintendo Switch. Preferred game genres are RPG and city/colony building games. I also started playing board games, which is an interest I picked up during the Covid pandemic, which is what I meant with the fact I expanded my gaming passion.

Anyway, Alphagamer.net is back. As you can see at this point (the way the website looks) a lot needs to happen for which I will take my time. The goal is to bring back the community it once was, with hopefully some of the old school members returning and obviously welcoming new members!

I will keep you posted on the progress and I expect you will start seeing change over the next couple of weeks.

~Alpha

1 Like

Hey Alpha, what kind of boardgames do you play nowadays? Human-don’t-annoy-yourself seems a good fit for you :wink:

1 Like

Hahaha human-don’t-annoy-yourself… I had to think twice to get it :laughing: welcome back Fyboo, good to have you back.

The board games I really like (and I was able to convince my wife to play :laughing:) are:

• Dune: Imperium (based on the Frank Herbert books)
  • Smallworld (really nice game that doesn’t take too long and is not overly complicated)

I have a couple more that I didn’t try yet but that are high on the list:

• Brass Birmingham
  • Arkham Horror

I also participated in 3 Kickstarter board game campaigns, however 2 of these messed up significantly (with 1 going like $150 over budget) and I am still waiting for the 3rd one, so I don’t think I will do this again. I might write a post about this specific kickstarter experience as there is a lot to be said (and a lot of human-do-annoy-yourself in this story :wink:).

Lastly, the good thing about boardgames (opposed to computer games) is that you have physical items in your hands which is pretty cool. A dice, a play mini, cards and all kinds of stuff which is pretty cool. Some games do this exceptionally well.

I know, I also like board games. During corona we (my neighbors and me) played Catan, ticket-to-ride and pandemic.

I also play Axis & Allies for many years. There are many versions. It’s risk but than for real nerds :-). One version comes with a board of 1.80cm by 90cm and covers are diner table completely.

1 Like

I think Pandemic was the first board game I bought at the beginning of the pandemic! Pretty cool game.

That looks awesome, I would really like to try that!