Originally published at: Diablo 4 – Lunar Awakening – Episode 7 – Alphagamer
Today, on Tuesday February 6th, Blizzard started the limited-time Lunar Awakening event. During this event, certain shrines in Sanctuary will have special power. While these shrines are active a player earns 50% bonus XP and 30% increased movement speed and a range of additional Lunar Awakening specific shrine effects in addition to the usual specific shrine buff.
The following shrine effects may occur:
- Artillery Shrine – Casts have a chance to summon a holy bomb.
- Blast Wave Shrine – Each explosion summons a cluster bombardment.
- Channeling Shrine- Increased attack speed and chance to reset cooldowns.
- Conduit Shrine – Summon frequent, powerful, shocking strikes.
- Greed Shrine – Chance to summon a Treasure Goblin. While the Shrine is active, 25 kills summons a Treasure Goblin, and 50 kills summons a second.
- Lethal Shrine – Chance to instantly execute a struck monster, causing Fear on surrounding monsters. Note: this includes Elites, but excludes Bosses and other Players.
- Protection Shrine – You reflect all incoming damage. Damage reflected scales with Level and World Tier.
During the time the Lunar Awakening buffs is active players also earn Ancestor’s Favor reputation. By farming this reputation a player can level up to level 10 which in turn rewards 6 different Lunar cosmetics (items on the right in the image below).
The event also has specific armor sets, see below.
I really like these, I think the Dragon inspired armors look great. However, it looks like these are only available in the shop which is obviously disappointing.
Without having put a ton of time into this event, I think it is great that Blizzard has event that can happen mid season. I think this is a welcome addition and add more content to the game, even if fairly limited and with only 6 cosmetic rewards.
I also understand that a company like Blizzards needs to earn money and it does that by selling cosmetics in a “for really money” shop. I am not against this either. However, I said it before and I say it again, I think the difference between the regular in game armor and the cosmetic armors from the shop is to big. What I think is missing is a good looking armor set as a seasonal reward. Not part of the normal Seasonal chapters but after finishing the season chapters and by leveling something else by doing end game content (boss kills, level 90+ NM dungeons or Vaults, etc). It should not be easy to achieve and it should have different parts so that it take a significant amount of farming to get it. I think they kind of rewards and end game goals are lacking. It might be because it might impact people buying armors from the shop which obviously impacts cashflow.
I might post an update on this post in the forum once I have gained a couple of levels in Ancestor’s Favor reputation. Stay tuned!